Friday, August 15, 2008

DD 5/10/05 GANDHI QUOTES

I went searching for my favorite Gandhi quotation, and couldn't find it. It goes like this: He was asked once, toward the end of his life, how he was able to prevail against far stronger opponents. His answer was, (approximately!) "I came to every struggle with the knowledge that my opponent had at least as much chance of being right as I did." In my search, I did find these quotations, all by Gandhi:
Where there is honest effort, it will be realized that what appear to be different truths are like the countless and apparently different leaves of the same tree.
A seeker of truth will never begin by discounting his opponent’s statement as unworthy of trust.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
An opponent is entitled to the same regard for his principles as we would expect others to have for ours. Non-violence demands that we should seek every opportunity to win over opponents.

No comments: