Sunday, August 3, 2008

DD 1/17/05 GUNILLA NORRIS POEM

From a highly recommended book of poems: "Becoming Bread," by Gunilla Norris -

ON THE COUNTER

Taken out, exposed
on the counter,
I am being kneaded.

The air pounded
out of me,
I am turned

Inside out. Rolled over
as if by a breaker.
Beached...

I am in the open.
Do not leave me now.
Do not hurt me

or give advice.
Do not rescue me.
Do not stop this.

It is my true chance.
Upside down I may
take shape. I may become

more of myself,
resilient. Let this happen.
Here on the counter

kneaded, turned on end
I will become less
and somehow more myself.

Hold my hand.
Do nothing. Soon
it may happen. Soon

I may be kneaded into shape,
smooth, all of one piece,
able to dream forward again.

Soon you may join me
here on the counter.
And I will know you as myself.

No comments: