Sunday, August 3, 2008

DD 1/31/5 SCENES FROM TWO MOVIES

Here's some dialog from two of my favorite movies, both of which I revisited this week. First, from the wonderful, little-known movie "Illuminata":
Rachel: I love you...
Tuccio: What?
Rachel: I love you.
Tuccio: You say that as if you had stopped, and wanted to begin again.
Rachel: I never stopped. I did nothing except to love you... imperfectly. I spoke from my heart... and if I was wrong, I've been wrong before. It means I'm imperfect, Tuccio. Educated imperfectly, molded by imperfect hands... If you're looking for someone to love you imperfectly, look no further -- I am she. If you will still love me, I am she.

...and this story, from "The Fisher-King":

Did you ever hear the story of the Fisher-King?

It begins with the king as a boy, having to spend the night alone in the forest so he can prove his courage so he can become the king. While he's spending the night alone, he's visited by a sacred vision. Out of the fire appears the Holy Grail, symbol of God's divine grace. And a voice said to the boy, "You shall be keeper of the Grail, so that it may heal the hearts of men." But the boy was blinded by greater visions of a life filled with power, glory and beauty -- and in this state of radical amazement, he felt for a brief moment not like a boy, but invincible, like God. So he reached in the fire to take the Grail... and the Grail vanished, leaving him with his hand in the fire to be terribly wounded.

Now as this boy grew older, his wound grew deeper, until one day, life for him lost its reason. He had no faith in any man, not even in himself. He couldn't love or feel loved. He was sick of experience. He began to die.

One day, a fool wandered into the castle and found the king alone. Being a fool, he was simple-minded. He didn't see a king; he only saw a man alone, and in pain. And he asked the king, "What ails you, friend?" The king replied, "I'm thirsty -- I need some water to cool my throat." So the fool took a cup from beside his bed, filled it with water, and handed it to the king.

As the king began to drink, he realized his wound was healed... he looked in his hands, and there was the Holy Grail, that which he sought all his life. He turned to the fool and said with amazement, "How could you find that which my brightest and bravest could not?"

The fool replied, "I don't know. I only knew that you were thirsty."

No comments: